Step 1: Start proposal and select effective date
After creating a census, you will be on the employee overview page. Click on the ‘X’ or Next to go to the client homepage.
Start a new proposal by clicking on the ‘+’ icon in the Proposals section.
Create a new proposal by selecting an effective date. You can also change the presenting agent to another agent (from the same firm) and customize the proposal’s name on this page. Then, click Create.
You will land on the introductory page, which also acts as a cover page on the proposal download. You can update the presenting agent and proposal name from the page; the effective date cannot be changed once a proposal has been created.
There are two ways to add plans to your proposal:
- Click on the coverage icons (medical, dental, vision, and life) in the proposal navigation section of the page.
- Click on the Choose Plans button in the coverage section to navigate to the Medical Coverage screen. From there, navigate to the other lines of coverage using the icons.
Step 2: Select Plans
Navigate to the Available Plans list
Click on any of the four coverage icons (medical, dental, vision, and life) to bring up plans available in the client’s geographical area for that line of coverage.
You can also add information on plans that aren’t available in Benefitter to your proposal. To learn how to create user-added plans, refer to the User-Added Plans Guide
Choose plans to propose
To add a plan to the proposal, click on the checkmark on the far right of a plan row. (The count on the Selected Plans link increments as you select plans.)
To view plan design and cost details, click anywhere on that plan row on the Available Plans screen. Links to the employee by employee cost details, SBCs, provider directories, and drug formularies (if available) are found near the bottom of the plan detail view.
Click on Selected Plans to see a side-by-side comparison of your selected plans. Once you have selected a plan, navigating to that line of coverage will take you to the Selected Plans list rather than the Available Plans list to facilitate your presentation to the client.
Set up employer contribution levels
Within a line of coverage, you can adjust the employer contribution levels.
The default contribution levels are as follows:
- Medical: 50% for employees, 0% for dependents
- Dental: 0% for employees, 0% for dependents
- Vision: 0% for employees, 0% for dependents
- Life: 100% for employees, N/A for dependents
Adjust contribution amounts as a percentage or monthly dollar amount. For some lines of coverage, you may be able to choose between age-banded and composite rates.
To base a percentage contribution on a baseline plan, you must first have selected at least two plans. You will be asked to choose which of the selected plans should be used to calculate the contribution (the “baseline plan”).
Note that changes to employer contribution levels are specific to the product line. For example, changing the employer contribution for dental coverage does not affect the employer contribution for vision coverage.
Step 3: Share the proposal with your client
Option 1: Using the Benefitter interface
Benefitter has been designed so that you can walk your client through your proposal in Benefitter itself. This enables you to adjust the options shown in real time, as you and your client discuss the company’s needs.
Option 2: Download proposal PDF format
The proposal can be downloaded as a PDF at any time by clicking on the down arrow in the upper-right of the proposal.
PDF Proposal Download Options
- Grid view displays plans from the selected plans list in a side-by-side view for each plan, with up to 4 plans displayed per page
- You can now display more than 50 plans in Grid View. If you want to show more than 50 plans in Grid View you can use the filters & settings options to narrow the available plans, and then display up to 300 plans by choosing to download Available Plans instead of Selected Plans. Alternatively, you can still select up to 50 plans, and choose to download the selected plans.
- Table view is still available and includes a separate row for each plan with slightly less detail
- Choose the Show Census option to make it clear which employees/dependents are being quoted
- Click Show Costs Details of the Selected Plans and choose the payroll frequency (Monthly, Bi-Weekly, Semi-Monthly, or Weekly)
- Click Download PDF
Option 3 Download Excel Spreadsheet Format
The proposal spreadsheet is now available in Excel format. Download the Excel spreadsheet by choosing the selected or available filtered plans option. Choose the Payroll Frequency Details in Monthly, Bi-Weekly, Semi-Monthly, or Weekly format. Click Download Spreadsheet.
On the downloaded Excel spreadsheet, the data is displayed horizontally. You can filter across the top of the spreadsheet to quickly sort plans and narrow down the plans displayed. The first tab of the spreadsheet displays proposal information which includes group name, downloaded date, underwriting status, and proposal settings. There are separate tabs on the spreadsheet for each line of coverage. Each row of the medical coverage section will display the employee-by-employee cost and links to the Plan Summary. The last tab of the spreadsheet contains the census information and employee’s names and tier information.
Option 4: Download proposal CSV format
The proposal can be downloaded as a CSV at any time by clicking on the down arrow icon in the upper-right of the proposal. The CSV the proposal data is displayed vertically on the spreadsheet.
Click here to watch the Select Plans Video